A Content Management System (CMS) is a prepackaged computer system that allows the website administrator the ability to edit, publish, or modify content from a central location.
Knowing this you might ask, "Well what is content then?" Content can be defined as text, images, video, or any data that is published to your website.
Examples of successful and popular CMSs are Wordpress, Joomla, Drupal, and several others. Most of these are free to start but extensions come in both a commercial and a non-commercial form.
What are the benefits of a CMS?
- They streamline the authoring process. This allows for faster turnaround time for new pages and changes.
- There is better consistency between pages.
- Most CMSs have highly evolved navigation between pages.
- The website is highly flexible.
- There is increased security.
- Duplication of information is reduced.
- There is a better scalability and greater capacity for growth.
- The cost of maintenance is reduced dramatically.